Sunday, June 10, 2012

The Bottom Line...

Lingerie Football.  Apparently, because I am female, I object to this sports entertainment because of nudity and objectification women.  *sigh* Apparently, you still haven't worked me out yet.

A recent conversation with one (well..  a few) of the Buccs made me realise that it doesn't matter what my actual opinion is, because guys, in their amazingly accurate knowledge about women, have an answer to cut off any point made, or attempted to be made, by telling me that I am guilty of double standards, because I am female. 

That, if I like WWE, then I clearly like it because it is near naked men.  Wrong. (Although, I am very partial to Triple H's hair... mostly because I wish my hair was as thick and luxurious! And my favourite wrestlers were The Undertaker and Stone Cold Steve Austin - they were the most entertaining and stirred up the most shit at the time! ;-) )

It probably surprises you to know that I don't object to lingerie football.  Nor do I object to wrestling.  In fact, I have spent a fair bit of time watching the drama of WWE (actually.. WWF and WCW before it all went WWE :-P).  I do not think that that those who participate in sports entertainment are not athletes, or do not treat the competition as less real.  I do not think that they are less determined to win.  I think that they have a role.  But they are that - entertainment. 

Nine times out of ten, Australians do not know that we send teams to represent Australia at a senior and junior level in gridiron, let alone know of the existence of 73 teams across the country (juniors, seniors, div 1 and div 2 levels) .  Ironic that the Women's Football Alliance in the US probably has better status that gridiron in Australia.  Within 5 months of putting together the WFA, there were 32 teams registered to play, and now there are 62 teams across the US.  You cannot convince me that women cannot understand and play full contact tackle football when it is the fastest growing sport in the US.

I feel that in a country that already considers gridiron players weak because they wear helmets and pads (yes, yes, we all know better.. but then, we know the reality of the sport), I do not think that lingerie football helps that image.  I want the sport I love to have recognition in Australia.  I am constantly disappointed in opportunities missed.  I was told recently by this friend of mine that guys watching lingerie football will encourage guys to play.  Maybe this is where my being female kicks in.. because that logic? I do not really follow. Basically because anyone I know who talks to me about lingerie football couldn't tell you anything about the actual game play.  In the US, I can see why lingerie football works.  Gridiron is America's sport.  It is an additional part of a foundation sport, so it is taken in the spirit in which it is played, because the rest is so serious.  Gridiron is rock solid and no-one can shake the loyalty of fans to their game - their teams on NFL, college and even high school level play. I do not think it is the way to promote the sport in Australia.  I find it highly amusing that whilst these boys will argue the legitimacy of lingerie football, none of them would let their daughters play.  It kinda puts it in that "i'll watch porn, but my daughter will not ever be in an adult film"  Well.. somebody's daughter is :-P  Oh.. and before you get on me about the porn thing?  I don't object to porn either - if that is how you want to make a living?  Just make sure you protect yourself, do things when you are ready, enjoy it, and don't be one of those people who looks drug fucked, because you just look drug fucked - and that is just not hot!

Lingerie football doesn't interest me.. but then, it is not marketed towards me.  In fact, whilst I am sure that I fit into a marketing demographic, there is very little in the main stream that is geared towards me.. but then, I am not visually focussed and I do not like to be told what it is I think, feel or want.  *shrug* I don't think I ever have been impressed by the superficial. It just seems to me that lingerie football is about making money for some bigshot, not about encouraging anyone (women OR men) to play gridiron.

So bottom line, I just think it is sad that such focus is paid to this sports entertainment, when there is more to the sport than lingerie clad women.  I was informed by another of the Buccs that sex sells.  It might be.. but I am still not of the opinion that that is the kind of attention you want.  That is all. 

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! High-5 sista!! :)
    you finally blog abt it! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing like chasing a win with drinking shots and eating like a caveman (1kg venison shanks rock!) to get your ideas sorted!

      Delete