Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What a difference a day makes!

How did January disappear without me noticing?

I am not entirely sure what I have gotten up to in the last month - some key moments included trying bikram yoga - so in true me style, not only did I start yoga, I started intensive hot yoga!  90 minutes in 40+ heat.. which, just so you know, is strangely addictive.  And as much as there is probably an element of placebo effect... but even after going twice, I feel like this is something that I could stick with.

It is a most strange experience.  I am not a fan of heat and humidity.  And yet, walking into the yoga room, it is like walking into a warm embrace.  True.. it is a bit of a blast when you open the door.. but it is nothing like the heat of a hot and humid day.. Maybe it is because it is controlled, and for a short period of time (well.. relatively...:-P).

I am also not a fan of classes.. and here I am, enjoying being an individual sphere in a room of others in their own individual spheres... It is fantastic! 

It is like you enter the heat and literally leave the outside world in the cooler temp.

This, for me, is monumental.  I think.. it is the attraction.  For that time, there is no question that the focus is breathing, and stretching, and balancing.. and noticing what has changed since the last time.

Unlike a gym or other kind of class, there is no distraction.  No music.  No conversation.  Just the voice of the instructor encouraging you to push passed what you think your limits are, but still listening to your body.

It has been, and continues to be, a battle for me to reconnect with my body after not really paying much attention to it for more years than I can remember.  Truth be told - it was probably hijacked by diabetes.  Unlike other kids, I had machines and injections that told me when I had to eat and what I would eat - so I suspect that I stopped paying attention to what it needed for real.. err.. not that insulin is not real.. just that the provision of it is artificial.  Over the years, treatments are better, but habits and denials are harder to "update" - especially when you aren't paying attention! ;-)

Now that things are in better proportion, and there is a desire to keep them that way, the confusion of learning that thirst can just be thirst, not a high blood sugar.. and that the shakes in the middle of a yoga class in just the shakes, not the symptom of a low blood sugar.  (Just to mention a couple of things that I find particularly difficult at the moment... :-P)

Bikram Yoga Geelong is where I have started my yoga adventure - you are welcome to join me some time - you've got nothing to lose by giving it a go... really! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment