Yes, yes - it is very cliche and trite to write a post on New Year's Eve about the outgoing year, but it has been a bit of a humdinger. Because of this, I have actually taken pause to reflect and focus my thoughts a bit. I actually went a little self helpish and used these questions - if you are looking for something similar. Be warned.. it is a bit girly in appearance, however the questions are good, and the prompts, well I found them helpful! 10 Questions to end 2016 feeling powerful and positive
So the upshot of this for me is that 2016 has been a year of two halves, sandwiched between the death of important icons - dare I say role models? Vale David Bowie, Alan Rickman and Carrie Fisher. The first half of this year proved to be gruelling and challenging - and was rewarded with the second half of the year. True, the second half of the year has had its pointy bits, but they were dealt with the grace and dignity of someone who has, well.. fought their way here, to the Goblin City. Some of these challenges with spill over into 2017, and there will be tough times - it is life, and life throws that shit at you! ;-)
Without the struggles of January to August, I wouldn't have the network of true friends and family I have now. I wouldn't have the same hopes for the future that I have now. In fact, if I really think about it, this time last year felt rather more bleak, in hindsight.
2016 has been rather death-centric for me. Becoming more knowledgeable and involved in palliative care, and also as it has escalated the fact that we are reaching the time when my generation are starting to lose more of their pop culture idols. There is an outcry, but in the grand scheme of things, we all must die. And yes, some seem to go too soon, however, we are not privy to all that they are, even if they are very open with their lives. We love them. We admire them. Things they have done have shaped us. but we do not know them, but we will carry them with us for as long as we live. They represent characteristics that we love and admire in ourselves, and if we don't, they are characteristics that we desire.
Working in palliative care, I have striven to normalise death - make it something that people can acknowledge as part of life. I believe that by doing so, it makes it more possible to live in the moment and do those things the self helpers tell you to do - tell your friends and family you love them, be kind, dance like nobody is watching and make love in the rain! Death is not something to fear. However (there is always a but, right?), it is not to say that watching a loved one die isn't painful, but seriously, not talking about it makes it so much harder for those dying and for their loved ones. Talking about it does make the transition for everyone easier, truly.
I have had the honour of being present at the bedside of many who have died in 2016. I have shed tears. Forever in my heart will be Gin - she was my heart and soul through a tough time for both of us. I nursed her through some tough nights - and she reciprocated in kind by being a straight talker, and being the best example of a person as there is - she truly told those she loved she loved them, she bucked the system, she danced and made love in the rain! Vale Gin xxx
May your 2017 be joyous, prosperous and full of more adventures than 2016! 💖💖💖💖
No comments:
Post a Comment