Every time I attempt to discuss what it is that I like about the series, I do not know where to start. Harry is an obvious focus - however, as his relationships with the other characters deepen, I have trouble picking an actual favourite. Each time there is a new interaction, I finding myself laughing out loud.. ok.. sometimes it might be considered cackling.. especially when it is Bob the Skull or Thomas... grinning like a Chesire cat, and pre-empting what will happen next. (Even after multiple readings!)
Since starting this post, I have finished the fifteenth book, "Skin Game". I've tried to think of another adjective.. but it was magical! Yet another new character to love, in the form of Hades, and some key moments in which Harry's internal dialogue mirrors something I believe. I realised that is the allure of the books - they are written in the first person. They are told by Harry. So you get Harry unfiltered, and therefore he is real.. human.. there is no pretense that he knows something you don't. Characters are revealed as he learns new things about them, their characters develop as Harry's relationships with them deepen and the complexities are captivating. And eventually I will talk about them all.. I REALLY enjoy the Winter and White courts though.. ahhh the Leanansidhe! 😈😇
I recommend having a go at reading (or listening to) them - I have done both for all 15 novels and the first book of short stories in 7 weeks. Crikey! Not to mention that the audiobooks have become my sleep company (replacing Scooby Doo cartoons, The Golden Girls, Blackadder or Big Bang Theory 😛), so Hades knows how subliminally well I know these stories! *grin*
The discovery of these books came at a key time. I have learned a lot about myself over the last 12 months. I have worked hard to keep looking forward. I have realised that it has been a 8 year process, at the very least, but most of the external influences (bar a few fine absolute stars) in my life have been content to tell me how I am wrong in the world. And starting with Buffy, re-embracing my loves of Bowie, Star Trek and Star Wars, and now Harry - and some other super amazing new inspirations - remind me that I Am Here . A reminder that in order to protect those parts of myself from judgement, I had tucked them away. I relate to Harry in this way. Hell's bells! I am that arrogant too - and it comes from the exact same place of being the strength, and not being seen as weak - whatever you throw at me, I can take it - until I can't, and I have been on Demonreach for a while, ready to take the Water Beetle back to Chicagoland! 😉 A few acts of kindness and generosity afforded to me has given those parts courage to emerge. Some of those are local and strong, some are touches of glitter from afar - all are important, because they reinforce things that are important to me, and add sparkles to illuminate that which has been hidden.
Enough of this reflection! I leave you now with two quotes that have come up in the last couple of days - one for International Women's Day - and whilst I agree with it - I think I could happily replace "women" with "people" - because I do not think that your gender has anything to do with whether you drop your bundle.. and I think this sentiment relates to my previous posts about villainy and this one about Harry.
And the second was quoted from Hamlet's soliloquy (just after the "to be or not to be" bit.. 😉) Shakespeare's Hamlet by James Marsters in a message about Buffy being 21 years old this weekend, and how Buffy was about not giving up, no matter how hard or crazy shit gets... I liked his message.. and I like the quote:
"... take Arms against a Sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them"
And by opposing end them"

No comments:
Post a Comment