If being the medic for the Buccs was a paying job that gave me about 30 hours a week, I'd be the happiest camper, and would probably put in unpaid hours. There are probably some of the Buccs that would happily be professional as well!! :-P (Having said that, if it was a paying job like that, I wouldn't get through to the interview bit, unless nepotism carried a bit of weight ;-) )
Never, ever thought that I would be uttering the words, let alone considering a qualification change into, sports medicine. One of my doctors is so excited about my involvement with the Buccs, I think he has a career pathway mapped out for me!
At this point in time, it would be, to say the least, a rash decision.
But it doesn't hurt to look, and oh! I have looked!!
The problem really is that there is not really sports nursing. There is definitely orthopaedic nursing, but nothing definitive as a qualification to specialise nursing for sport. Basically, because in relation to sport, there are physicians, physios, chiros, myotherapists (to name a few).. from what I can tell, the nursing aspect comes in with recovery in the hospital post injury!! :-P Maybe it is a role to pioneer? Still.. doesn't mean there is a relevant qualification to move me into relevant areas. But as it stands, there is no add-on to a nursing qualification in this area. Hmmm more investigation may be required - maybe it IS an area to pioneer in relation to a community nursing or public health kind of slant.. *ponder*
I have had a cursory look around at what is available. There are many qualifications in sport management and business.. might be handy to have a couple of those subjects up ones sleeve.. there are degrees in exercise physiology, which are not quite right; courses to become personal trainers, which are not quite right either.. maybe closer; could do physio, or chiropractic science (not really my philosophy though.. might just drive me nuts); I could actually do sports medicine.. but then, all of that doctoring and interning to specialise in about 10 years seems a little bit, well, nuts, particularly since at this point, it is an interest. Given that most of these options would carry the benefit of being able to work in that area, as well as the Buccs benefiting... but, as with all of my ideas, pie in the sky until something solidifies.
Am planning to do the Sports Training Course at SMA to become accredited in sports training (basically a two day course that is sports first aid, strapping and a few other bits and pieces to do with being on the sideline) - TOTALLY looking forward to it. And have shot off a couple of emails to see what I can find out.
Whew! big talk with the mother.. I have some weird ideas, you know.
It occurs to me that I am being a bit serious about all of this.. but I have been inspired by the game, yet again, and I want to contribute. The boys play hard, and I love it! (Am I repeating myself?)
Loving and leaving you for now - unfortunately, am all talked out after phone call, so might revisit when I am full steam again!
No comments:
Post a Comment